Knowledge Translation & Communications Coordinator – Job Posting
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Manitoba Office
Part Time until Feb 2019
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Manitoba office (CCPA – MB) is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. Founded in 1980, the CCPA is one of Canada’s leading progressive voices in public policy debates. CCPA has a national office in Ottawa, and provincial offices in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Nova Scotia, as well as Manitoba. The Manitoba office is the lead for the Manitoba Research Alliance, currently concluding a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) grant “Partnering for Change: Community-based Solutions for Aboriginal and Inner City Poverty”.
The Manitoba Research Alliance is a group of academic researchers and community and government partners. Our work is interdisciplinary, widely accessible and facilitates the multi-directional flow of knowledge. Our genuine partnerships have given us unique community access and enabled an original contribution to an understanding of the complex problems of poverty and social exclusion and a clear understanding of our next steps.
The Knowledge Translation & Communications Coordinator is a new part time position created to communicate research results to decision makers and key audiences. The position reports directly to the CCPA- MB Director. They are responsible for delivering key KT projects for the CCPA Manitoba and the Manitoba Research Alliance.
Roles and responsibilities:
Develop Knowledge Translation (KT) & Communications Plan
- Develop KT Plan based on MRA and CCPA Manitoba research
- Identifies key projects for KT Plans based on maximum potential impact related to KT approaches
- Develops overall plan and plan specific to key reports
- Editor of KT newsletter based on key MRA and CCPA Mb reports for policy-makers, community-based organizations and allied groups
- Summarizes key reports in plain or populist language
- Makes this “user-friendly” via inclusion of photographs etc.
- Oversees layout & distribution of two newsletters
Media & Social Media for key report launches
- Develops media release plan with report authors
- Writes press releases for reviews, targets key media for coverage
- Works with report authors to identify key messages that can be conveyed over social media
- Develops infographics, memes and other easy-to-use materials in consultation with report authors
- Work with authors on short videos of research, where resources available
Public Engagement Events
- Organizes KT public engagement events with community partners
- Ensures events are accessible to public and well facilitated
Meetings with Public Policy Decision-makers
- Works with report authors to identify which public policy decision makers are a priority to engage with on research results
- Liaises to set up these meetings, helps authors prepare and follow up
- Tracking and evaluation of activities listed above
Experience and Skills required:
Knowledge Translation & Communication Skills
- Proven ability to do media relations and publicity, including developing key messages, writing press releases and strategically engaging with media for maximum impact
- Understanding of public policy frameworks and protocols when interacting with decision-makers to share research results
- Basic understanding of community-based research methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with researchers, public and media in a friendly and competent manner
- Post-secondary degree in political science, urban studies, economics, sociology or criminology an asset.
- Degree or training in communications/ knowledge translation.
- Microsoft office suite
- InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Basic video recording and editing skills
Bookkeeping and Administration:
- General financial record keeping
- Tracking outputs and outcomes for evaluation
- Ability to work cooperatively in a small office environment
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as take direction from others
- Dedication to social and economic justice with an interest in ending poverty and social exclusion.
- Knowledge of community-based organizations in Manitoba
- Good community relations and conflict mediation skills
- Training in, and/ or awareness of anti-oppression practices
This is a part-time positon for 21 months at $26.50/ hour for 16 hours/ week.
Applications can be sent to email@example.com by Monday August 28th at 9 am. Please send a PDF of your CV/ Resume and cover letter in an email with the subject heading “KT & Communications application – (your name)”.