Administrator – Manitoba Research Alliance / Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Manitoba Office
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Manitoba office (CCPA – MB) is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. Founded in 1980, the CCPA is one of Canada’s leading progressive voices in public policy debates. CCPA has a national office in Ottawa, and provincial offices in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Nova Scotia, as well as Manitoba.
The Administrator of the Manitoba Research Alliance (MRA) is an employee of CCPA MB and supports the administration of a SSHRC grant awarded to the MRA. S/he reports to the MRA Project Coordinator – also a CCPA employee. This is a part time position, two days / week. The position is a term form January 2014 – December 2014.
Administer Social Sciences and Humanities Research (SSHRC) grant:
• Liaising with each of the four leads of the research streams
• Support to the MRA Research Committee, including organizing meetings and taking minutes
• Administering project grants, including managing contracts, liaising with principal investigators and student researchers, administering cheques, expenses, liaising with Universities and maintaining records and lists, monitoring progress on projects and keeping track of publications financial management and reporting (with the assistance of financial admin and Project Coordinator)
Reporting to SSHRC
• Preparing information needed for reports to send to Project Coordinator, securing final signatures (Milestone, yearly Form 300s, Midterm year 3, Final Report)
• Administering Partnership Contribution forms, sending to partners for signing and forwarding to SSHRC (yearly)
• Maintaining information (media; publications; numbers of students; tracking leveraged funds; conferences attended; time meeting with partners, etc.) in preparation for SSHRC reporting
Communications / events
• Maintaining the website
• Ensuring successful MRA events
Skills and experience:
• Undergraduate degree in social sciences with preference given to graduate degree
• Strong project management, administrative and budgetary skills
• Knowledge of SSRHC and University research protocols
• Understanding of research methods
• Understanding of challenges facing inner-city
• Understanding of policy environment
• Experience working with academics and community-based organizations
• Strong oral and written communicator
The successful candidate should share a commitment to CCPA’s social justice mandate. The person hired for the position will be self-directed and feel comfortable working in a small office team environment. The CCPA is a non-profit organization with a unionized workplace. The wage is $20 / hour for 16 hours per week. This is a term position with possibility of extension.
Please submit a cover letter and CV/ resume by January 13th, 2014 to:
Lynne Fernandez, MRA Coordinador, CCPA – MB
Thank you to all who apply, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.